Beginner RV Tips
Start your RV adventuring the right way
With the below beginner RV tips and tricks in mind, you will hopefully start your RV trip the right way – having fun and enjoying your new lifestyle!
Have a plan.
If you are new to the RV world, you probably have many questions. Yes, you may have already decided on what type of RV to buy, but the questions and planning do not end there!
- Set a budget regarding gas, food, and where you will stay. Taking a short trip first (see below) will help you be more accurate in your budgeting.
- Decide where you are traveling to and for how long – this will be key for your packing!
- Remember when you need maintenance and actually do it (we’re happy to help with this piece of the plan!).
- Keep your pets in mind if you are bringing them. For example, make sure to have enough dog waste bags, food, kitty litter, etc.
- Determine what items you should bring. Things to consider are: how many extra fuses, rolls of toilet paper, light bulbs, trash bags, soap, shampoo, bikes, food, dishes, utensils, and so on that you need for your entire trip.
- Book your stays ahead of time. With an RV there are usually wait times of a few months. Yes, MONTHS! It’s very wise to book a campground in advance, especially for a stay during the high season.
Take a small trip first.
One of the best beginner RV tips is to take a small trip first.
For your first trip, a destination around 50 miles away is probably a good idea. A short trip like this for a day allows you to drive the RV a little bit and get the hang of it. The next trip, you can venture just a few hours away.
There are many reasons to take a small trip first:
- You can learn more about your RV without being too far away to ask for help. (Feel free to contact us if you need help!)
- You will recognize items you may not have thought you needed.
- In case something breaks. You want to work all the kinks out before you take a long trip.