State Park Burn Bans
Going camping – check the bans
While back to school may indicate the end of camping season for many, some of the best camping days are still ahead of us. As the dry summer heat tapers away you may forget that many burn bans are still in place in state parks. Before planning your camping getaway – and your menu! – make sure you check the burn bans for the state park your visiting.
If fires are allowed at your campsite, remember these five simple rules of campfire safety.
- Look not just around, but up (make sure there are no low hanging branches!)
- Safety proof your pit by clearing a 5 foot radius & circling it with rocks.
- Always keep water nearby.
- Always watch – never leave a fire unattended.
- Put it out before bedtime. Make sure the coals are wet and cold.