Tighten Up: Conduct a Pre-Drive Safety Check
Many accidents are caused by simple forgetfulness: leaving doors unlatched, awnings up or steps attached. Create a step-by-step checklist, and like a pilot on a jet, conduct a “walk-around” visual inspection before driving away. A preflight checklist should include:
- Making sure bay doors are closed and latched.
- Double-checking tow bar and safety cables.
- Disconnecting all power, TV, phone, water and sewer lines.
- Retracting jacks, steps, and awnings.
- Looking under the rig for signs of fluid leaks.
- Checking oil, transmission and coolant levels.
- Checking air brakes, parking brake and tow brakes.
- Making sure stove, oven and heater burners are not lit.
- Checking the propane tank for leaks and intake/exhaust lines for blockages.
- Inspecting tire inflation pressure and tread wear.
- Making sure smoke and propane leak detectors are working.
- Checking your surroundings (weather, overhangs and ground hazards).